Sunday, January 4, 2015

Bozeman to Rapid City

January 4, 2015

Today's plan was to drive from Bozeman, Montana to Rapid City, South Dakota.  At least that was the plan.  The weather is notoriously hard to predict so I was still hopeful for safe travels even after seeing the storm warning on my phone.  Unfortunately for us, they got this one right.  Roads were covered with snow and ice all day and the going was slow and nerve wracking.  At one point I asked Lynn if she would like me to take her to the airport and put her on a plane to Chicago and let me finish the trip by myself.  She hesitated before answering with a tepid, "I guess not."

The dangerous roads were still surrounded with a beautiful winter landscape in one of the most sparsely populated areas of the country.  I couldn't help but admire the first settlers who built lives here.  The winters are hard enough now.  I can only imagine what they were like then.

After several hours of driving slowly we shortened our trip and stopped in Buffalo, Wyoming, thankful for a safe and warm place to spend the night.  Maybe we'll make up some of the lost time tomorrow - weather permitting.






















The mountains around Bozeman
















If you zoom in you'll see a very cold looking
statue of George Armstrong Custer
at this Bozeman visitors center
















I have to admit I was less than enthusiastic
 about starting the day's drive on this road.


















And then it got worse for most of the day.
















We joined the other customer for a most welcome
 rest and a hot meal with lots of coffee.




















We finally arrived at Buffalo, Wyoming, a few hours short of our destination but, although it was night time and the air was very cold, the skies were clear and the roads look much more promising for tomorrow.










No comments:

Post a Comment